Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Language Class, Cooking Class and Markets! Oh My!


A great way to ease into Cambodian culture, or any foreign culture, and meet new people while you're at it, is to take a class.  I was lucky enough that one of my dad's staff members introduced me to LINK--the Language Institute of Natural Khmer (naturalkhmer.com).  What's especially special about this nifty joint, besides the friendly teachers and $4 price of admission for a 50 minute class, is their method of teaching, a la Rosetta Stone, for those of familiar with the popular software.  Basically, at least in the beginner class, no one is allowed to speak Khmer, except for the instructors who speak only Khmer.  For the duration of the class period, they communicate with you; miming, telling stories and using pictures.


My awesome teachers and the white board full of drawings!


This splendid debacle gets you used to the rhythm and unique tonal system of the language as your subconscious picks up and stores visual cues and associations with the sounds.  This is all based on the premise that we learn languages by listening not speaking.  A choice of course that can be corroborated by babies everywhere.  Bonus point: the miming, stories and white board illustrations quickly descend (or rise) to hilarity.  Case-in-point, my female Khmer instructor miming laying an egg complete with clucking (and much straining--she really got into it).

Beware! In every class you get some asshole who insists on practicing the little Khmer he knows.  Unfortunately one of these creatures was sitting right next to me, ever so helpfully nudging me with his elbow and translating for the teacher in a whisper, "she's asking you when your birthday is," and "that means chicken."  Why, those of you who know me ask, did I not verbally castrate and/or create physical space between this Helpful Henry and myself?  Well, for one thing, I didn't want to disrupt the class.  And for another, he is my father.*

This is honestly the most fun I've ever had in a language class.  Just don't bring your parents with you.  Kidding!  Honest, I looooooove my father verrry much.

Another must-do I highly recommend while trapezing through Phnom Penh is a Khmer cooking class!  On Street 240, not too far from where I'm living, is Restaurant Frizz (http://www.cambodia-cooking-class.com), which offers cooking classes (half day $15, full day $24) complete with a tour of a nearby market place.  Markets are super cool.  A make-shift army of large umbrellas provides cover from the tropical sun for an array of fruit, spices, clothe, toys and meat, most of which are impaled on hooks.  If it's your first time (or tenth) the abundance of smells, people and still-floppin'-around fresh (and some not so fresh) produce can be overwhelming and having a guide showing you around isn't a bad idea.

Fruit fruit and more fruit!

I showed up outside the restaurant 9 am sharp, ready to get cooking, and greeted my fellow culinary students.  There was a nice lady from Norway, another quiet woman who I know nothing about or where she came from but was pleasant enough, a cool couple from Briton, and an interesting guy from Australia.  That's another awesome side benefit to taking a class--the people you get to meet are going to be a whole other kind of exposure to different cultures.  During down times when we had to wait for the food to finish frying or steaming, we got the chance to lounge around and learn about each other and our respective origins.  Cool beans!

Making spring rolls!


Our teacher was a hoot, too.  He'd come by our little cooking stations and taste the finished product, make a funny face, pretend (I think) to retch and then tell us we were doing great.  On the menu we had spring rolls and the national dish of Cambodia; fish amok, a thick curry steamed in a cup made out of banana leaves.  And it all turned out delicious!  Well, except for the sweet and sour sauce.  That was crap.  Something about me adding too many limes but I call bullshit on that, I think the Aussie put in too much fish sauce.  But hey whatever, blame the American.*

*I totally put in too much lime

No comments:

Post a Comment